Teen treatment without ugly braces
Invisalign® Teen is an orthodontic system developed especially for teenagers. It's designed to take into account their busy lifestyles and can straighten teeth discreetly without the need for fixed wires and brackets.
Invisalign® Teen uses clear plastic aligners similar to those used for the adult system, but includes a couple of different features designed especially for teenagers. One feature is the blue coloured compliance tabs located towards the back of the aligners which help show the dentist, parents and teenager whether or not the aligners have been worn for sufficient time. The blue wear indicators gradually fade with use.
The aligners are also especially designed to take into account that all the adult teeth may not have yet fully erupted. Another important feature of Invisalign® Teen is that the system includes six free replacement aligners, recognising that teenagers are especially prone to losing things.
- Effective – teeth alignment activates from the start of treatment
- Customised – impressions are taken for bespoke aligners
- Clear – an orthodontic system that is virtually invisible
- Removable – easy to remove when eating or drinking
- Comfortable – no sharp edges that could dig into your cheeks or gums
What it can treat:
- Gaps in between teeth
- Overbites caused where the upper teeth bite too far over the lower teeth
- Underbites where the lower teeth bite too far in front of the upper teeth
- Open bites where the front teeth fail to meet, even when the back teeth are closed together
- Overcrowded teeth
- Teeth that are in a crossbite, where the upper teeth bite inside the lower teeth on one or both sides of the mouth
- Longer treatment time – not as fast as fixed braces
- Not for complex treatment – fixed brace options are best for complex treatment
- Root positioning – not as precise as with fixed braces
- Removable – so results depend on user compliance
What Is the Step-By-Step Process for Having Invisalign® Teen?
The step-by-step process for having Invisalign® Teen aligners is as follows:
- The first step is a consultation at the Harley Street Orthodontic Centre to find out if this system is suitable for your teenager. We will be able to assess their orthodontic issues and will discuss the various treatment options available. Invisalign® Teen is generally suitable for most teenagers, although some teenagers may be able to use the adult Invisalign® system.
- The next step is for your dentist to take impressions, x-rays and photographs of your child's teeth as these will be used to create 3-D digital images using Invisalign's Clincheck® software. Your dentist will be able to plan each step of the treatment, and will be able to show you a digital image of how their straightened teeth will look.
- The aligners will be fabricated by Invisalign, and your dentist will supply your teenager with several sets that must be changed every two weeks. Regular check-ups every 4 to 6 weeks will be necessary to make sure treatment is progressing as planned.
- Once treatment is complete, your teenager will need to wear some type of retainer to prevent the teeth from moving back to their original positions.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is Treatment Uncomfortable?
All orthodontic systems create some level of discomfort. Your teenager may experience slight discomfort when changing aligners as it can create a feeling of pressure on the teeth until they become accustomed to their new positions. This feeling should pass within a few days and is easily controlled with over-the-counter painkillers if necessary.
How Long Does Invisalign® Teen Treatment Take To Complete?
Treatment can take as little as a year or possibly a bit longer. Your dentist will be able to give you an accurate assessment based on the orthodontic issues that require correction.
What about Eating, Drinking and Brushing Teeth during Treatment?
Invisalign® Teen doesn't require any dietary restrictions as the aligners are removed during eating and drinking. Teeth can be brushed and flossed as normal so there's no need to take any special precautions. The only thing that's important to remember is that the teeth need to be brushed prior to reinserting the aligners after finishing a meal.